The Middle School afterschool program, offered through School's Out NYC (SONYC), offers students academic support, as well as recreational and leadership activities. Our program fosters the opportunity to explore interests and personal goals. We are looking for volunteers that would be great role models for our students by supporting them in completing their homework and strengthening their academic skills. In the future, volunteers may also have the opportunity to lead extracurricular activities remotely, as many of our students spend much of their time inside due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Job Type: Temporary
● Unpaid volunteer position.
● The program runs Monday through Thursday from 3 - 6 PM. Tutoring sessions are from 3 - 3:45 PM.
● Some of our students are only available from 6 - 6:45 PM. Volunteers that also have availability during this time may be preferenced.
● Volunteers will tutor at least 2 separate days a week.
● Volunteers will be placed with 1 student.
● In-person tutoring is tentative.
● Passionate, committed, engaging!
● Background in mathematics and/or English is preferred.
● Experience in working with children preferred, but not required.
● Stable internet connection.
● Gmail account.
● Must be available during program days and times, and commit to serving the entire semester.
● Volunteers must be 18 or older
Enrollment is on a rolling basis. Please complete the Education Volunteer Registration Form ASAP https://forms.gle/2nFMhRbSzuKMGSrMA and a CIANA staff member will contact you for a virtual interview if you meet the program’s initial needs. In order to apply, you must complete the form. Applicants who do not complete the form will not be contacted.